HABA Bee School–We had close to 90 people congregate in Holland this past Saturday to learn about beekeeping. How encouraging to see so many take time out of their busy schedules to learn more about the honeybee! The HABA board would appreciate any feedback from attendees and look forward to seeing you at our regular meetings.
A huge thanks to Anne Marie and everyone at GVSU for hosting the event and we are much obliged to all of the instructors and volunteers for all of their assistance. We also want to thank the vendors for displaying their products and sharing their knowledge. It was a great day!
Michigan bees? I’ve had several queries concerning the availability of Michigan nucs. If you aware of a local source, please share in the comments.
Upcoming Meeting Topics–Board members will be meeting soon to decide on meeting topics and speakers. One of the struggles is to balance subject matter that appeals to both beginners and more advanced beekeepers. We welcome your suggestions! Check out the list of topic ideas below and take the time to share with me which three you would most like to learn about this year. Or maybe you have some other ideas?! Your comments are very helpful!
Meeting Topic Ideas
- Solar wax melting
- Extraction–methods of removing bees from supers
- Hive stands
- Swarm traps
- Observation hives
- Beekeeper garage sale
- Building your own equipment
- Apiary locations
- Raising queens
- Making increase–split methods
- Processing wax/making candles
- Making mead
- Apiary record keeping methods
- Selling hive products
- When to add supers
- Comb honey methods
- Inspections–understanding what is going on in the hive
- Winter preparations
- Disease identification
- Mel Disselkoen methods for increase/ varroa control
- Beekeeping gadgets
- Varroa assessment/control
- Hive beetle control/traps
- Anne Marie’s experience in the Ukraine and Apimondia
- Hobby or Business?–tax info for beekeeper
- Marketing and labeling products